We have developed a range of activity and information resources for schools, community groups and individuals that accompany our displays.
These laminated A3 bird of prey posters have been created to highlight the remarkable features of raptors and to supplement the information provided in our environmental education programs. They are available at a cost of $15 each (plus postage) from our shop here.
- The Australian Diurnal Birds of Prey poster is a comparison chart focusing on Australian species, the physical differences and adaptions of various taxonomic groups and their conservation status.
- The Barn Owl poster features close up photography of many of the adaptions that make this favourite owl such a perfect nocturnal predator. It also features a series of photographs of our own Eggy to show ‘the growth of a Barn Owl’ from age 21 days to adult.
In addition to our educational posters, we have created a number of resources that can are aligned with key learning outcomes in the Australian Curriculum. These are available at no cost (except for Owl Pellets) and can be accessed by emailing us directly. These free resources are listed below:
Resources for School groups – Linked to the following learning areas: English; Science; History; Civics & Citizenship; Technologies; Ethical Understanding; Critical & Creative Thinking
- Key adaptions of birds of prey: understanding their prowess and amazing abilities
- Basic needs of birds of prey: understanding their habitat needs
- How birds of prey have infiltrated our language: a history of falconry
Activities & resources:
- Bugs, birds & ecology game: Understanding the food chain
- Owl pellet dissection lesson: Instructions and activity sheets (data collection & analysis). Owl pellets purchased separately.
- Kestrel food chain mobile (colour-in & cut-out)
Resources for Community groups
- Two-page activity sheet for children aged 5 – 12 years (fun activities based on needs of birds of prey)
- Basic needs of birds of prey information sheet (understanding their habitat needs)